Monday, July 19, 2010

Qifah & Nipple Confusion

Since last Thursday, I noted that there is a change in Qifah's preference to feed. Out of a sudden, she refused to be fed directly from right breast. I'm confused then. 2 days later (Saturday & Sunday), she refused both! I'm appalled.

My mom said, "Agaknye ada 'benda' ikut masa gi Desaru last week kot?" I have not imagined to that extent. I thought she had too much of bottle-feeding, pacifiers and her new love - her thumb.

On every working day, she'll spend:
- around 11 hours at Mak Esah's house - bottle-fed.
- reach home, the most 3x direct feeding.
- going to sleep, pacifier/thumb.
- every other hour, thumb.

On the count, her time spent with natural breast is so limited.

I read up again article about nipple confusion/preference @ Mommy Luna's Diary. The scenario fits Qifah's scenario almost 100%. Hence, I've concluded, Qifah's got a nipple confusion already.

Today, I tried some methods mentioned in Mommy Luna's Diary. But Qifah was screaming on top of her lung. I gave up.

Then I remembered a colleague said she used bottle teat to shape up her nips when she got her first child. I tried the similar method on Qifah's case. She DID WANT to feed from my teat-covered nip, but no milk came out. Then I straightaway took out the teat and shoved my nip. She bought it and sucking away contently. Me? Smiling away contently too~


Qifah sleeping/smiling contently


Thanks to Sharina for the idea. Thanks to little teat. Syukur, Alhamdulillah... Hopefully this method will work all the way until Qifah re-adjust herself to the nips vs teat/thumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment